Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A Review of my previous apartment as left on apartmentratings.com

I wanted to wait a little while before I reviewed this monstrosity, but today's events have made me decide otherwise.

During the course of my living there my car was broken into once, something the management never responded to. I did not expect compensation, but after I contacted police I contacted them (via email) to ask if I they needed any information on the event. They never responded. The "security" gates were broken more than they worked, from when I first moved in my windows may have been open when it rained they leaked so badly, they fixed a leak, but never resealed or even painted over the subsequent water stains. During the two winters I was there there were potholes near one of the back gates so significant its a wonder no one got flats out there.

I have never had cockroaches in any place that I've lived, and yet in this apartment I'd had several that came in from the inadequately sealed windows.

The complex is serviced by a useless company called direcpath for its internet needs and as a subcontract for Directv service, which I was told was the only cable/internet I was allowed to have. The equipment for this was in the club house. They neglected to pay the electric bill on the clubhouse which resulted in me losing internet for a week, which had a direct impact on my employment.

I asked for MONTHS for a key to the exercise room, and was refused because they were changing the lock on the door. Finally I gave up. So essentially I paid for amenities that I never got to use.

My water bill was around $11. when I moved in, while I can appreciate inflation, my consumption which has not changed went from $11-$12 to anywhere from $16-18.

The complex itself is falling apart, and yet they chose not to fix the things that were broken, but to renovate the "clubhouse" which was now available for party rentals. This would be the same clubhouse they failed to pay electrical on, and that housed the workout room I was refused a key to.

I had neighbors above me throughout my tenancy one were people that were so loud that they shook my light fixtures when they walked. Another notable tenant were the group that smoked outside in the breezeway and let their debris and butts drop to the floor below, often on my doorstep. The complex issued letters about the littering, but never followed up.

The dumpsters were turned off for the weekends, very often early in the day on Friday so trash and debris built up outside the dumpster throughout the weekend.

The management has changed at least three times that I've noticed, although I tried to stay away from the office as much as possible.

When I went to put my 60 day notice (January 20th roughly)the office staff left me standing unattended for several minutes because they were busy talking. Finally when I was acknowledged I signed a paper stating I wanted to vacate April 1. Several days later I received an improperly addressed letter in the postal mail acknowledging my notice with a list of repairs I would be responsible for, including rug shampooing and painting. Any place I'd lived these were considered routine maintenance upon tenant departure.

I moved into my new residence and went back to my apartment to clean on March 30. On my door was a notice that they had not received my notice of vacation and rates for lease renewal. I returned my keys that afternoon, leaving the apartment cleaned far better than when I moved in. When I went to the office I was greeted to the office being redecorated (they couldn't fix potholes but they can put in hardwood floors?) a new manager who was on the phone and playing with birthday cards too much to really pay attention to me giving her my keys and forwarding address, but against my better judgment I handed these over to her along with my forwarding address. She half explained away the letter they left about not receiving my notice as a failure on the part of the previous management. Talking to her let me know I left just in time.

Today (April 14) I received a call that they'd left an eviction notice on my door and since I failed to respond they would proceed with the eviction. I told her about turning in my keys and leaving my forwarding address with the woman in the managers office. I was told she would look into it. I will be following up.

My advice, run.

No comments: